Why I work

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Frugal Dad talked about why people work today. That got me thinking about my somewhat crappy job situation.

I know the field that is for me. I basically knew it when I was in highschool, and I do understand how lucky I am to have realized it early on. I was able to plot out a loose plan about how to get there. I went to a small highschool, and wanted to go to a small college. So I got a bachelors that would allow me to get into a Masters program for my field opf choice. I went straight fomr my B.S. to my M.S, and jumped at the first job that came my way in my field. Now, it's not like I had 20 offers knocking down my door, it was after 9/11 and the economy was even more in the tanker than it is now hiring wise. I had applied at a number of places and never got even a phone interview because I had zero experience. I was finally able to get an offer from a company that on the surface looked like a great deal.

I was told I would be a technical decision maker, pay my dues for a couple of years, and then move on up. Well, I've moved up, but I am still doing the same thing, but on thigns that are more difficult/important, and higher profile, which always makes me nervous. I have also come to the realization that once I finally get the to the place I have strived for, my role would not drastically change either, which kind of sucks.

Now, I got my masters to be able to work at a job I love, at lest that was my goal. I want to be able to love going in to work everyday, and truely feel I am making a difference in the world. Although that is how I felt for a long time at my job, this is not why I go to work everyday now. Now I go to work because I mak good money, am able to support my family, and have a very good chance at some point relatively soon (sort of) be able to do something within my company that does give me this feeling again.

And no matter how much I love my job, I don't love it as much as hanging around the house on the weekends. And vacations and long weekends rock. I plan on retiring early, moving to a lower cost of living area, and puttering around the house.

0 comments: