Another way to cut bills

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

So, the ING account has $50 in it, and I was able to confirm the normal checking account today, so they will allow the $100 a paycheck now. I am excited about it. Can't wait to see it grow.

We've started paring down our bills too. My wife is not that great with directions, and the printed Mapquest pages don't always do that well, when you are driving, so she had Telenav on her cellphone for over a year now. She has a blackberry that she needed for business, so to get Telenav on her phone, we had to get the unlimited data package for $40 plus the $10 a month for the actual Telenav.

I also had the Internet on my phone for smoke breaks and bathroom use at work. I would cathc up with ESPN and CNN. I got hooked on it when we were with Nextel and the text only internet cost me $3.99 a month. We switched to Sprint when the merger happened and then the internet cost me $15. I was so hooked on it that I didn't want to give it up. So combined, we were spending $65 a month for phone based Internet and nav services. This was on top of our normal cellphone bill. The bill was a ridiculous $176 a month for 2 people. Ridiculous.

I realized that a decent standalone gps, my wife does do much better with some sort of gps system, would cost at most $200- $250, which would give us a 4 month turnaround on savings.

Then the Mio got great reviews. And then it went on massive sale at Radioshack.
We ended up getting it for $129 plus tax. This gives us a 2 month turnaround on savings,
which was half of what we were even thinking was ok. AWESOME!

So, if you are trying to find ways to cut your monthly spending, but don't want to give up the things you enjoy, look for other ways to get want you want, and you can probably find a way.

0 comments: